Monday, January 17, 2011

Nantucket


That leaves me behind, "the Big Boss" as I think she refers to me, manning the fort alone. I must confess, I quite enjoy this quiet season, and after a tumultuous autumn in my life outside the shop, I am ready for the healing powers of Nantucket in the winter months. I took a long walk yesterday, around and through town then down to Steps & Jetties beach. There are so many nooks & crannies and hidden paths to explore. (My old roommate used to refer to them as "secret townie routes".) The houses, quiet for the winter, have their shades drawn, like closed eyelids. There was no one on the beach, just me and a bunch of seagulls who were upset with me for disturbing their meeting. This is the time of year to reconnect with the place that I love, the Nantucket that I met in March, 24 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment